Thursday, July 22, 2004

Back in my day

So I am in Manila. Here is the weird ass thing... I was in Manila in the Navy (my 4 weeks of active duty) in 1977. Now I am in the position of saying, "you know in '77, things were very different".

It sucks, but it is true. The city has changed mightly. The airport and hte roads haven't changed, but there are about 20 times more cars than there used to be. There are tall buidlings and gigantic malls. And there are police everywhere. Back in my day, it was safe to walk the streets here (back in my day, Marcos was the dictator and people he didn't like disappeared, but that is something different).

So, here is the wierd thing. I am back in Manila 27 years later, I don't feel any different, but it is a different world. And, right this freakin' minute, The Simple Life with Paris Hilton is on the TV set. Progress? I think it not.

I head home tomorrow (which will be my Friday night).