Thursday, July 08, 2004

Once Upon a Lousy Time in Mexico

Sometimes one is stunned with a movie. I wanted to watch Once Upon a Time in Mexico. So I netflix'd it, and Eddie and I watched it. This is a movie with Johnny Depp, Antonio Bandarass and Enrique Englaizes (sp?) - even Salma Hayak, how could it be bad?

Well, not easily. I have rarely seen a movie work so hard, for so long to be confusing. I mean the movie had to REALLY work at it. I think the director wanted a non-linear sotryline, which is okay. But he also seemed to want non-linear character development across multiple players. And also, why be saddled with a single or double point of view, when you can have an infinite central character in the story. You are held back only by the number of scenes in the film (and in some cases, not even by that). Plus, I get the impression that Salma Hayak might have been killed in a early movie, so there was a lot of flashback that they didn't acknowledge as flashback or dreams.

At least not in the first hour. That is when Eddie and I gave up on it.

Oh well. I think tonight we will give our poor noggins a break with Dickie Roberts, child star.