Monday, October 25, 2004

My New Password Follies

So, I get a message this morning that I have access to personnel information. Therefore I have to follow the new password rules.

1) Logon on to the password change site
2) Use the change button
3) Enter the encrypted password from your electronic safe/card within 20 seconds
4) Retrieve the first half of your password from the site
5) Logon to you mail to get the second half of your new password
6) Login using this new password within 30 minutes or it will be locked
7) Do note write down the new password anywhere

That really isn't that difficult with your safe/card.
I ordered my safe card in November.
November of 2003.
It has yet to arrive.
I believe one is allowed to be concerned over a new procedures such as this, when delivered from people who can't send out a safe/card within 11 months. This is a fair concern.

So what do I do? Apparently they realize they are idiots so they have a back up plan.

If you do not have an electronic safe/card, find 2 friends that do.

1) Have each friend go to their logon site and select "trusted friend"
2) Each will use their safe/card to get a message delivered to them
3) Each use will print out the file and give it to you (the files cannot be mailed).
4) You have 1 hour to logon with the two files as you single password.

Are you kidding me?

Are there 2 people that have safe/cards in my group. Yes. There are. Ther are 2. The 12 people managers that need new passwords will all go to these 2 people for their passwords.

1 is in Hawaii for 2 weeks.

Speaking of head up your butt moves, did anyone see the Bruins tear their own heart out on TV last Saturday. It was sad and pathatic and no one would go out with me to drown my sorrows.