Tuesday, November 23, 2004

I have found a way to pay for a new house

So, those of you that know me know that I pride myself on my ability to fund various ventures that cannot rightfully be justified (for example, the Jaquzzi will never hit a dollar a wear). But I have been surpased in my ability. Nay, I have been proven a piker. I need to think BIG.

I have agreed (with myself if not with you) to contain my anger and rants at the present occupant of the tacky neo-colonial building at 1600 Penn to off-site. And I have upheld my part of that bargin.

This is not a slam, nor a rant at those pesky Republicans. No. This is a acknowledgement of job well done. This is a trick (strike that - say "treatment") of funding that makes even studio accountants say "damn - I wish I thought of that". From the Washington Post.

Republican budget writers say they may have found a way to cut the federal deficit even if they borrow hundreds of billions more to overhaul the Social Security system: Don't count all that new borrowing.


As they lay the groundwork for what will probably be a controversial fight over Social Security, Republican lawmakers and the Bush administration are examining a number of accounting strategies that would allow the expensive transition to a partially privatized Social Security system without -- at least on paper -- expanding the country's record annual budget deficits. The strategies include, for example, moving the costs of Social Security reform "off-budget" so they are not counted against the government's yearly shortfall.