Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Okay - Here is the story

So, fyi - I am not going to my Grandmother's service at her church.

Instead, we are looking to get a headstone for Grandma all visit when it is put up.

Why not the service.
Okay - I am not whining here. I am just stating the facts ma'am.

The people at my Grandma's church actually like me. I mean I was nice to Zela and everything. Zela and I had a much better bond than they do with their kids and grandkids. The Bible study even made grandma ask me questions about gay people when one of them is confronted with a family memer. Zela and I talked about choice vs. born that way. We talked about monogamy, the possible of love, etc.

But, at the same time, the church is evangelical. At my Dad's service (same church) I was sitting with my grandmother, next to Sheila. Sheila was openly my father's girlfriend. She and Dad dated, went to church things together and had very open displays of affection. Sheila, FYI - married. Now her husband was in the vetern's hospital and would not come out of a coma. I don't blame Shelia for hooking up with my dad. She needed the vegtable husband's money to put the kids through college, so she didn't divorce him.

Okay, picture us at my Dad's service. They don't want Ed to sit with me, but they don't say it. I sit with Zela, and they flood the bench.

Now Sheila says goodbye by singing a song (poorly) and everyone weaps.

Now the preacher gets up and says my dad asked him to talk directly to me. He says, "It doesn't matter how good a person you are. It does not matter how good you are to your grandmother. It does not matter how much you take care of your father. If you don't accetp Jesus as your saviour and renounce your life of sin you will burn in hell."

Sheila, next to me, is nodding, and turns to give me a little smile. Sheila! The married wife of a vegtable who spent the last year screwing my dad and putting ads in magazines for 3 ways is going to heaven. Scott - going to hell.

How did I react. How would you react if your hard of hearing Grandmother sat next to you and just lost her son? You would do what I did and not say a word. I held Grandma's hand as she wept and didn't listen a word the preacher was saying.

After the service Ed, Patrick and I left. We got drunk and went to a dog show.

I will not repeat this with my Grandmother. But I will tell you all when we are having brunch and dedicating the headstone.