Friday, April 08, 2005

Cardinal Tells of Vow of Silence

Okay, I am corn-fused. Cardinal Roger Mahoney - the LA Cardinal, has been telephoning from the Vatican. Cardinal Mahoney - FYI - got the LA Cathedral built. He presides over the largest population of Catholics in the nation (he Arch-Dicoeses' over?).


The cathedral is an acquired taste. It was done by some big-name Spanish Architect - but that isn't my point here (how easily I get sidetracked).

Anywho, Card. Mahoney says on the radio, "It was very moving. Down the circular stairs, where the Pope wil be buried, it is very small tight space. So the Cardinals formed an Honor Gaurd as the ball bearers brought the pope through. Afterwards, all the Cardinals were moved and did not speak until we got into the dressing room, and took off our vestments."

First of all, I didn't know the Vatican had a dressing room that could handle 167 Cardnials. I visualize a football locker room where the Cardinals swap stories, exchange relics and tell Mormom jokes.

Then he says, "And then we took a vow of silence until after the conclave. The conclave will start in 10 days on the 18th and will go until the new pope is elected." Qeution from Reporter, answer from Mahoney, "Ha ha ha. No, I don't think we will have an American Pope, but the Americans will discuss with our brothers who might be the next Pope." "Okay," the reporter signs off with, "We'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Okay," says Cardnial Mohney.

All I can think is, this is the worst vow of silence I have ever heard.