Thursday, June 09, 2005

Oh - no!

Before we get to the big "oh no!", the pyschie-scaring "oh no!", I will say that I wasn't at work today. I haven't been feeling good, and I am trying to get over of it before England. So if you sent a note, I will respond tomorrow.

Okay --- onward.
I don't know if you remember, but the 1972 Slymar earthquake was horrible. It dropped an overpass (which fell in the 94 Northridge quake too), knocked down an old folks home and almost broke the Chatsworth damn. I was in 7th grade, but was home sick that day.

I had been home sick for a while. I was coughing, not feeling good and - as my mother and Eddie can atest - whining. I tend to whine whent I am sick.

I slept through the Slymar quake because my father, having tried every kind of cough surup on the market was at wit's end. He needed a night's rest and could not get it. So he gave my half a sleeping pill. I forget the name of them. I mean the real name. My dad's friends referred to them as red devils - but there was some legal name too.

I tell this to people, and they are always amazed how horrible my dad was. Well, he was - but not due to this. It was the first good night of sleep I had in weeks.

This story pops to my mind today because, today, I am the bad father.

Today we got the dog's hair cut. They look great and all, but Hastings has a nick or something. He is obsessed - as only animals and Ed (when Matthew McCounehy is on the back lot) can. So he was scratching himself silly (Hastings, not Ed). He wouldn't stop. Sometimes when we "worries" like this he can scratch and bite all the way down to blood.

So Ed suggested half a Xanex - with is for anxity attacks. I thought it was a great idea. But I was a little foggy, I stayed home from work because I haven't been feeling good (see it wraps in a nice bow). So when he said half a Xanex, I got one.

Well, he ment a 1/4 of a Xanex, as when I occiasionally take them for anxity I only take a half - so he meant 1/2 of a 1/2. But my head is foggy. So I gave my poor pup 5mg of Xanex.

He's not scratching now. He is sleeping with a little smile on his face. And he wouldn't feel an earthquake either.

.
.
.
You know, in thinking about this now, my mom once gave a little yappie poodle (Toots' dog - we really shoulda given it to Toots, but that's around story) 1/2 a librium wrapped in ground beef because he wouldn't stop whining. The little dog was fine after that - and it was a better visit.