Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Sometimes nice news comes out of the blue

So, most of you have heard stories of Honey. Honey is my other grandmother. I mean Zela I have spoken of here - she passed away last year.

Honey is my mom's mom. Honey is a piece of work - and I have told most of you stories about her. She is a fount of good stories (Ed's favorite is the one about her husband's service)

Okay - side story time real quick. So my Grandfather (Honey's husband) dies. Eddie and I go to the service, with the family. After the service we go to a brunch thing. Honey arrives, and most of us are seated around the table. The waitress comes over and askes what she wants to drink. Honey looks around the table in the morning and says, "Hummm.... What is everyone else having... let's see, Orange Juice.. Coke... Beer... Wine... " She stops and thinks a minute, then says, "Burbon, rocks."

Ed fell in love with her right then (FYI - Eddie had the Beer at the table).

Okay - Honey and I haven't been close in a while. Okay - about 40 years. I was off and on close with her husband. Well, with me it was on, I loved my grandfather. With him it was off and on - he was manic depressive and his opinion of me swung wildly. But we hadn't talked in about 5 years before he died. Honey and I exchange Christmas cards.

Well today, first time ever, I get a non-Christmas card from Honey.

She wrote to Ed and I about the pastor at her church. And enclosed a trip report from his trip to Germany this year. And a newspaper article. In the article, the pastor talks about the churchs in Germany. And people. In particular a gay couple that attends Catholic church. He asked them why, given the Catholics stance towards gays. The couple responded that the Catholic Church has a whole list of things they don't approve of.... divorce, contraception, etc. They still believe in god and the church. And the pastor talks about how this reinforces his faith.

The newspaper article was about how equality in the state has to extend to homos. And that should include marriage. And what people do in the bedroom is no one's business (as long as there is no pointing and laughing - really). This from the San Diego paper!

I am touched. Well, touched is a pretty empty word, but I hope you know what I mean. Here is - argueably - a mean woman, who has never wanted a close relationship with me (or her other grandkids to be honest). Either she is reaching out - or she is just letting me know that this part of my life (the Ed part) is no big deal.

In any case, it is really nice. It is about the nicest thing she has ever done. And unprompted (unless Timo spoke to her, but she doesn't respond well to lectures). Okay - this isn't nincompoopery - but I wanted to share.

Now back to your regularly schedule bitter boy.