Friday, August 19, 2005

The Good and Bad of the Web

There is a lot of good things the web does. For me, this is one of them. I can say hello to a bunch of friends - who can get my hello when they are bored or lonely or just want to check up. That is great. Espically for those of us who don't write letters or anything.

The web allows you to share a quick chuckle. It allows you to check the scores of football / tennis / whatever quickly, easily and without driving your friends nuts.

But then there is the down side of instant communication. People respond in a knee jerk fashion. They may fly off the handle at what they think the read or hear instead of what people are really saying.

Older people may assume whatever is written is true (because it is written down).
Younger people doubt all news / information (because the web is full of crap and lies).

Worse, it can act as some echo chamber. Where you only read what you agree with. We in LA may not know of anyone who actually admits to liking the current administration - and reading online and watching our TV reinforces this. It always surprises me that the Economist (the British news magazine that Ed, John and I love) is actually very pro-Bush - but in a reasonable way. They admit his faults, but discuss his positive points.

The same can be said of people who love Bush. I listen to Rush on occasion, read www.worldnetdaily.com and watch FoxNews. I am sure many people in those target audiences do not know anyone that disagrees with Bush. Bush's popularity with Republicans is still 80-90%. With Democrats is around 20%.

As a nation, we don't really talk much more - we yell at each other and loudly agree with our friends. Where we may disagree with our circle of friends, we don't really say much about it.

I don't know if there is a point to this or an answer to what I see as a problem.

I guess I want to say, to all of you (for the moment I will assume you are all friends :-) - I really do value your opinions. I have learned from all of you (Carson excepted - of course) and I wanted you to know that. I think it is important to say that because, in the normal course of events, I am a big mouth that doesn't acknowledge the other side might be right.