Friday, August 05, 2005

Mascot of the Month - Quarterbacks




Well, it's August. That lovely time of year when you can hope for the best, before you know the worst. So the mascots are the Quarterbacks for the Bruins and the Badgers (John Stocco from Wisconsin is at right)


I actually wanted the new Olsen (Ben) who is a 22 year old Mormon from Missoula to start, but they are going to let 3rd year started Drew - Butterfingers - Olsen play. So root for him I will. But secretly, I want the ugly Ben to play (below).


Finally I must say I had a problem with the Mascot of the Month this month. There were no pictures that weren't too depressing to look at daily for a month, but I really wanted to give the Mascot of the Month to the men of the Ohio National Gaurd who lost their lives in the last few days.


To me, you can agree or not agree that the war in Iraq (as opposed to the war on terror) was right. Reasonable people have reasonable views -that often don't agree. But these 14 men were true American heros. They were fighting for what we, as Americans, all believe. That people deserve to live free and safe. It is an easy thing to believe in. And, at 46, not a factor for me. But for these guys, their beliefs in what was right lead them to protect people they didn't know. To try to protect people that often hated them.

So mascot of the month seems to flip for them. Instead they have my admiration and appreciation and, as undefined as they are, my prayers.