Saturday, September 03, 2005

Mascot of the Month - My Ashtray




Okay - I know it is really wierd, but I will tell you the story.

After my parents divorced (or - as my mother might say; after the bastard finally got out of the house), I think my mom and I were kind of poor. I mean I didn't fell poor or anything, but she had to work nights in a Card Club as a cocktail waitress. That doesn't sound like the greatest job.

Well, one of the fun things we would do each week-end was walk to the pottery store. Gardena was full of Japanese (post interment they re-settled them in Gardena). And some of them made amazing pottery.

My mom smoked, so we would every now and then by a cool ashtray.

About 18 years ago I saw this ashtray in a resale store. I loved it. I actually bought it for a date as a Christmas present (Yes, I dated a smoker!) and he said, "You know, you really like this. And I don't. I think you should keep it." It sounds heartless, I know, but 17 years later when Ronnie Roo dated him, the idiot dumped all Ron's clothes in the front yard of his house after a fight! At least I got the ashtray.

Well I have kept it ever since. And Eddie hates it. But he let's me keep it. He's a good boy.

I think about that now with the Hurricane stuff. My mom and I didn't have shit - but we had each other. Sometimes that is all you need.