Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Mickey's Mom has E nuff

So Mickey came out to Palm Springs last Saturday night. His mom and dad (from Chicago) were in town. Gavin and Mickey plus Mickey's Mom and Dad were going to Vegas (while Mickey, Mom and Dad are all Catholic, some-one else is using Yon Kipper vacation days on the strip).

Anywho, Mickey brought his parents out to Palm Springs to break up the drive and see the sights. They went up the tram. They drove by where Mickey sings (he is in the Agape Choir in LA, and the have a couple a concerts a year in Palm Springs). They had dinner out at a Mexican restaurant. Then they came over to our house. Mickey wanted us to all kind of hang out and break up the drive to Vegas. (Gavin? Oh yea, he flew and met them there - nice son-in-law.)

So Mom walks in and is greeted by our 3 dogs. Let me say, Mom is not a dog person. Mom has spent most of the day in the car, and, when she was out of it, in 100 degree weather. Mom has spent the last 4 days with Mickey and Gavin and their new barky puppy and their two older barky dogs. Mom's face fell a little to be greeted with such fervor by yet more dogs.....

Trevor licked her toe (sandals) and Mom said, in a sing-song voice, "Little Dog, if you lick my toes again I may have to kick ya. Yes, I might. Yes I might. Ask Mickey - I almost had to kick the asshole dog of theirs. Yes I did."

Mickey's Mom was, so to speak, just about done with dogs, heat and presentation.

So imagine how happy she was when we let Mom and Dad use Lynn's room - with a Real Live Girls bathroom (as opposed to Mickey and Gavin's guest room). And, since it was Lynn's room, we said, don't let our dogs in because Lynn has a dog and we don't want our dogs marking her room. And there was a big pretty clean bed and a TV.

She changed, and - I imagine- steeled herself for the evening. She was happily surpirsed to come out to the front room; where Ed, Mickey, Mickey's Dad and I were drinking beer and margaritas and watching UCLA football.

Dad and Mom are big sports fans. They sat with us and we all routed for the home team. And we won. We won ugly. We didn't deserve to win - but that's okay in my book. And Mickey's Dad was really happy for me. Mickey's mom was happy for me - and she was happy the dogs slept through the entire game.

After the game she went to bed - for a great night's sleep. Dad, Mickey, Ed and I stayed up until after midnight playing Chinese Rummy and talking. Of course, the first thing I was told was that Dad was a little deaf - so I screamed at him all night and he probablhy thinks I am crazy.

FYI - Dad is a d-shark - I am glad we didn't play for money.