Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Golden Globes Return to Form . . .

And the people rejoice.

Yes, the frivolity was a little forced. But I think the Golden Globes got the hint that turning into the Oscars Lite wasn't working for them. So it was back to too much drinking, sitting the TV folks way up in the balcony and general looseness.

I loved it.

For those of you that did not watch (which are probably many), I must regale you with one (and only one) story.

Genna Davis (who is like 9 feet tall and wore a kick-ass red dress) won the Best TV Dramatic Actress Award, for Commander in Chief. You know, where she plays the President.

She gets to the Podium and says, "You know, as I was walking up the Red Carpet tonight, I felt a tug on my dress. And there was this 8 or 10 year old girl, you know in her first party dress, and she says, "Because of you, I want to be President."

And the theater applauds and there is a giant "ahhh" through the Beverly Wilshire Ballroom. The camera even zooms in on Gwenth Paltrow who is misting up (of course, she is pregnant and hormonal again so she mists up a lot).

The Genna Davis looks at the statue, back and the audience and says, "Okay. That didn't happen. But IT COULD HAVE. I mean in like the farmlands of Nebraska or something." Pause "And, if it did it would make all this worth it." Pause, underbreath, "You know, for one child." I laughed my ass off.