Monday, April 17, 2006

Despite what right wing talk radio may say....

Over time, I have stopped listening to talk radio. And yes, my blood pressure is down. But I hear things every now and again as I toodle through the dial. This is not a rant, so don't worry.

But, I don't want "liberals" / "democrats" / "feel-goodies" , which is to say, me - I don't want to be defined by talk radio. They set up straw man arguments and opinions, ascribe them to anyone who may disagree with the president and then trash them. So, just a few words about what I do and don't think.

I don't think US Policy is the root of all evil in the world. I actually think that - in the main - we try to do our best and provide a lot of good in a lot of places.

I don't want Iran to have a Nuclear weapon. Just because I don't think we can "nukes their asses back to the stone age" (quoting Laura Ingram's show this morning), does NOT mean I side with the Imams.

I don't hate the troops. I don't think the troops are delusional. I don't "spit on their effort". I am in awe of men and women who put their lives on the line every day for the benefit of people they don't know. I could join tomorrow to protect my family. I could not join tomorrow to try to protect Iraqis' right to school and worship, but I admire and thank those that can. And I am getting awfully f*cking tired of radio people who perpetuate the this lie.

I don't want to have gay sex in front of you. I don't want to force you to marry us in your church. I don't want to tell elementary school kids about gay sex (or any sex for that matter). I struggle, same as most people, about how to discuss this with kids. I don't want to force you to watch two men or two women to kiss. I think their are sane and sensible limits to the discussion of private sexual actions (gay or straight).

Disagreeing with our President is NOT the same as agreeing with Jihadiis. Let me say that again for the benefit of everyone in radio land. Disagreeing with our President is NOT the same as agreeing with Jihadiis. For openers, Jihadiis are all up for stoning gay people to death. And for stoning woman who cheat on their husbands to death (based on the husbands word only). The stab and kill sisters and daughters that date someone they don't like. And that is when they are in a good mood. So just cuz I think Smarmy, the Leaker in Chief, should be run out of office does not mean I want to replace him with Bin Laden.

Okay.

I'll be funnier later today.

Finally; just as a reminder - I love this country. I mean, I love the opportunity. I love the openness. I love the fact that my BF and I aren't going to get stoned to death.