Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Out of the Blue

Sometimes things come out of the blue to hit you in a weird way. So June Pointer died today of cancer. She was 52.

I love the Pointer Sisters - and being ancient myself - have a bunch of their early albums.

They did a song once calling "Dreaming as One" which is a love song about two people in love who end up dreaming of one future. And the song speaks to how you come to realize that this is a beautiful thing, as you age. Every Wednesday night for 18 months in the mid-80's the Revolver closed the bar to that song. I know because I used to VJ every Wednesday night and I played it.

People, times, places... they reach out to you in ways you never expect. You just get to be happy that you were effected by them. That you aren't so cynical that a love song and a hope can help you to get through the days.

So June Pointer, if that whole God thing works out, then fly on the wings of angels. You gave something back to the rest of us. Tonight, my dreams are for you.