Tuesday, August 01, 2006

How NYC Changes the complaint

Kohl’s Senior Citizen Discount

There is this Kohl’s circular today which has like a one day sale with up to 50% off (never mind the closest Kohl’s is in another state). Additionally, if you are a senior citizen you get another 15% off.

My first thought is okay that’s nice.

My second thought (when I lived in LA) was whoa, I am not going to Kohl’s with those drivers. (And I immediately apologize in my head to Ed’s parents, who drive fine. But I was thinking of Zela – and she was a menace with 2,500 pounds of Chevy Impala behind the wheel.)

But now my first thought is, oh my gawd. I am so staying away from a Kohl’s on August 2nd. Because these old people in New York are just MEAN. Mean mean mean.

Today, on my way to get coffee, I see a nice enough old lady with a bag. She steps across Broadway – against the light. And she steps spryly towards the median. Well, step as spryly as you like – when you step against the light without looking, then the garbage truck is going to honk at you. A long, get-the-hell-out-of-they-way honk.

At this point in the story, most old ladies would way the apology and hurry their steps a little. Not in New York. The spry 80 year shows much less arthritis than Zela had by flipping the driver the bird as she meanders her way towards the center. I think she slowed down.

And this, ladies and germs, is not an isolated incident. Apparently all that anger they held in as young ladies is giving full vent in the August of their years here in New York. So a warning, be careful at Kohl’s on Wednesday.