Wednesday, April 04, 2007

All Hail Apollo Helios

I am working from the office again, which gives one time to think on the subway to work. In my case, not always a good thing.

I have decided that Christianity could only arise from a nice climate. When looking for spiritual answers in Los Angeles (or - one assumes- the Mediterranean) the infinite power and glory of man and something greater than man can be pondered. In Los Angeles I understood about a power greater than the individual - and the ability to redeem. I had time to question our inter-relatedness, to seek the truth (maybe even with the capital T).

Outside of LA, Jerusalem, Rome and Cairo, I would be worshipping the sun god, baby. I would get up every day and hope that Ra or Mars or Apollo would be driving that flaming coach across the sky.

Last week-end, Eddie and I were enjoying the city. It was sunny and held the promise (if not the actuality) of warmth to come. We wore shorts and sweatshirts and took to the streets. We froze, but we BELIEVED. Today it is drizzling, the highs for the next few days are in the low 40's and I am looking for a fatted calf to be offering up to Apollo.