Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Cognitive Dissonance: Mascot of the Month

JP Calderon

Well, it is May 1 and so a new mascot of the month. And yes, I know that it is surreal to place a humpy boy right after the post about Bush, but such is life in the aughts.

The Mascot of the Month is J.P. Calderon. He first came to attention (on these pages) as he was on Survivor and kicked out ahead of his time. When he was on Survivor, he wasn't out as a gay man - to anyone. He was going to get married and lie about it his whole life.


Instinct Magazine did an interview with him. It was actually sad / enlightening to read. I mean, it isn't boo-de-hoo-de "poor little me", it is very straight forward about how he was going to lie forever because of his family and his upbringing.
I gotta say, my family - while non-conventional in many many ways - has always been really accepting of me being me. I think as long as I am happy, honest and a good person then they were happy for me. And my family never defined "good person" based on who I slept with or who I loved. They only insisted that I was honest with those people.
So, JP Calderon is humpy and cute and a professional Volleyball player, but I was a lot happier for my first 31 years than he was. Which is funny because you always think if you looked like this (see below) you would be really really happy.


But apparently it isn't true. Of course, the one benefit is that even when you are unhappy (like the shot below from Survivor) you are smoking hot.