Thursday, May 03, 2007

Ed's trip to China

Yes politics bugs the hell out me, so let's move on to something a lot more fun.

Eddie had a very good time in China. I am reconstructing here from his talk to me (and there was wine involved) so I may be a little fuzzy on the details.

He meet with team members in Shanghai and Beijing. He loves Shanghai in general as it is newer and more vibrant. But his pictures of Beijing rocked! He had an afternoon free (which wasn't really that much time considering he was there and working all week-end). He went to the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square.

So, this is the entrance to the Forbidden City. That is where the Emperors lived (see, I watched Mulan). This is how you always see it (although not always such good pictures Eddie!).


But part of me always thought, "Wow, that is a lot of hard surfaces for a home." Well, it turns out that the farther you go into the Forbidden City, the more private it gets. Until you get to the back which were the private gardens. See that makes a lot of sense to me now.

And, the forbidden city is huge, so maybe on a quick tour you wouldn't go back there.


Then there is the big Fascist / Communist architecture I love. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Fascism or Communism; but the Art and Architecture. It is was designed to overpower and overwhelm the viewer. It was designed so show a person as a cog in the country's power, subservient but critical.

I think it is amazing and interesting. More so there than here (I am so not a fan of the World War 2 memorial on the mall; for America and Americans I love the memorials that celebrate the individual which is what makes our country great).

Anyway, it is very cool. If you want to see Ed's pictures go here: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=581dnii.arc8ku3q&x=0&y=qsvf7j.