Sunday, June 24, 2007

High School should end before 47

So, my Eddie is in Iowa / Minnesota and I had to face a party alone. I am sorry, but it was so high school redux for the longest time. Joe Hummer (horrible but actual gay name) is moving to Palm Springs tomorrow (July - great time to move to Palm Springs - 115 degrees). Eddie and I were invited because Joe's old boyfriend is a friend from LA. So I went and knew almost no one.

And I walked there. Because it is a beautiful night. (Weather complaint ahead!) But I get there and the tiny 1 bedroom fourth floor walk up is packed, humid, hot and un-air conditioned. I knew 2 people, one of whom sat me in front of a window shaker and turned it on because I looked 5 minutes away from heart attack (I wasn't, but I don't look good in humid sweatiness).

I was tempted to leave, but I pressed on, and ultimately had a great time. It took some strong talking and making fun of others, but ultimately I succeeded in breaking the ice. The cutest guy and I commiserated about missing So Cal (he still has a place in Laguna), two doctors and I bemoaned the lack of fake boobies and I talked with someone about - of all the places in the world - their place outside of Penargyl PA, and I was the only one that had been there. The fact I remembered very little of it wasn't nearly as important as the fact I had been there.

Ultimately I had a good time, but it is stupid that I am 40+ and you still get that high-school "no-one is going to like me" feeling.

Of course, I blame them.