Tuesday, June 26, 2007

An Unfortunate Last Name

So, Ed went to his grandmother's service last week-end. He has shared the pictures with the family. I hope he will allow me to share this unfortunate picture (the foreground cropped out).

Ed's grandparents were in the foreground (now cropped out), and Ed pointed out that in the far background where his other grandfather Thielan (is buried). They were all from the same community in Iowa (I am sure Ed's parents were related somehow - which explains much doesn't it?).




But, as you know I cannot look at a picture without seeing the pun, can I? And between the two sets of grandparents are a set of unknown people with the highly unfortunate name of Pitstick.

I would assume that when they immigrated that Pitstick was a normal name, not slang for anti-persperiant. I am just glad my grandparents were Mitchells, not Pitsticks.

Of course, there is the obivous joke that is so obvious I ...almost... can't say it. But what if.. Robert Mitchum married the child of the Pitsticks. She would be Mrs. Mitchun-Pitstick.