Thursday, July 19, 2007

Fail Safe


So... when I work from home I usually have Turner Classics on in the background. Today they have "Fail Safe" on. I read the book years and years ago when I was in my teens. It was freaky then, and is chilling now.
I had never seen the movie. It is strange how such a sprawling book becomes such a claustrophobic movie. And the lack of CGI makes the sketchy black and white stock footage look so much more real.
There are no pictures of Moscow getting nuked. Just the words of the American Ambassador until the moment the line squeals from being fried.
There are no pictures of New York getting nuked. Only 10 quick images done to the countdown, and then a bleed to white.
It is sobering. And it reminds you of what could happen. xThese days we tend to put it out of our mind. We ignore the thousands of massively destructive bombs under and not under our control. I think it is good. We probably would be immobilized if we actually thought about what could, might and some day probably will happen somewhere.
People are capable of so much. The ability to create life, art and joy. The ability to destroy everything on the planet. The ability to look at the positive and the negative sides of life at the same moment. It's cool. I guess I wouldn't trade life in on something else.