Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I begin to feel sorry for these guys

You know, take a look at Larry Craig.


He is a Republican from Idaho, arrested in a Minneapolis bathroom for lewd behaviour (he came on to an undercover cop for gay sex). Part of me is, of course, outraged and annoyed. These old buttheads vote against gays loudly proclaiming that we are unfit for marriage, the military or to be teachers. Yet, I have never come on to anyone in a bathroom!

But there is another part of me that feels sorry for these assholes. I mean can you image being attracted to men (or women in stilettos or whatever fetish he might have) and not being able to act on it. Forever! Even being told it was sick and disgusting. Maybe he was taught (and believes) he will go to hell for these feelings. That is really sad. And it would make you hate anyone who acts on it.

Well, I can say whatever I want about the parenting skills of my parents and grandparents, but they never beat self-loathing into me. They never made me hate myself. If fact, my parents were great about my choices. Maybe not happy :-) but great to me anyway. Ed and I are lucky to live when we do and be brought up in loving families.

So I feel sorry for Larry Craig, the man. And yet, I can still be pissed with Larry Craig the hypocritical fathead Senator.