Thursday, August 09, 2007

New York in the Rain

You would think this city would have the rain issues down pat. No, they do not. Heavy rain causes many problems for the city's transportation. This note is from Paul Kenny (a friend from LA who now lives in New York and we all hang out) to his buddy in San Francisco.

It was insane. I left for the train @ 7:50 AM and the sun was out, nothing was on the news about train closures, and the storm didn't seem to bad in the middle of the night. Got to the train and found out no trains were running in either direction. Lines were down the block already for the buses and you couldn't even get a "gypsy" taxi (illegal). I went back to my place and changed into shorts since it was getting hot already, called the office and TRIED to call our car service (good luck) Then got online and the MTA alerts started to SLOWLY come in. I wasn't going to, nor could I take a bus because people were fighting to get on and they were friggin packed!! I finally got picked up by one of our office Production Assistants about 12:30 and it took him 2 1/2 hours to get to my place (normally 1/2 hour drive). We dropped Randy at the last train stop in Brooklyn and he was able to get on a train to Manhattan. Jason the guy I work with said people were fighting and hitting eachother at Penn Station to get on the 1 train that never was shut down. My office flooded with raw sewage (Mr. Hanky.. the Christmas pooh) and my computer was on the floor....... it's dead and I didn't back up my files. When I finally did get home last night I wanted to take a shower with bleach so I drank 2 martinis and then showered. We have tarps layed out all over with wet paperwork trying to dry and slowly curling up. New York New York, so crazy they named it twice.