Friday, October 12, 2007

Palm Springs: With Honey on It

So Eddie and I went to Palm Springs last week-end and had a great time. We saw a bunch of friends (Muffin, Katherine, Bradley, Kathy) and had dinner one night with the neighbors (Tim and Chris). It was great.

Just before we left New York, my mom called to say thanks for a gift and to tell me she was going to LA to see her mom (Honey) for a few days. On Monday she and Nick were going to Laughlin. Well, this worked well because, surprise, Ed and I would be in Palm Springs on Monday and they should drop by. Plans were tentatively made (but you know – Honey, my mom’s mom – might want them longer so it was up in the air).

Apparently after a 3 day drive down from Montana, Mom and Nick got to Honey’s on Friday night. They visited a little and told Honey their plans to stay through Monday. Honey was happy because it would be a nice visits.

Saturday Mom and Nickdrove up about 45 miles up from Honey’s house to see Tiffany and Quentin (my sister and brother) for T’s birthday. Honey didn’t want to spend the whole day up in Orange County - but want ed to have dinner with them. Well, Quentin was on call so they had to eat dinner in Orange County. So after much of the day, Mom and Nick drove back down to Honey’s house, and then drove Honey back up to Orange County for dinner with everyone.

So my mom has driven 3 days to get toHoney's house outside San Diego - and another 150 miles or so Saturday dragging it around to make things work in Southern California (and still has to drive Honey home another 45 miles back to the house). Dinner seems to be going well when Honey pops up with an idea. At dinner Honey says to Mom, “You should leave tomorrow morning.”

My mother is not the least amused, but said fine. In her head (and at my house) she elaborated on the thought, but suffice it to say my mom says eveil things about her mom.

She and Nick left Sunday bright and early and spent the night at our house before going to Laughlin. My mother has no future plans to drive 3 days to visit her mother for less than 1 full day. But, on the phone, Honey was sweet “So nice to see you. We should do it again.”