Tuesday, December 04, 2007

No more no fun….

The post below from this morning is true, but it is no fun. So I made it smaller. So let’s give a fun story.

You’ve all heard of the “dodo” bird, yes? Apparently the dodo was the big bird of Mauritius. It was about 3 feet tall, flightless and tasty. I say tasty, because they didn’t put up much of a fight as the sailors passing by stopped and ate them. (And I say penguins must taste AWFUL, of they would have gone the way of the dodo – but I digress.)

But it wasn't just ugly and tall. It is, like, the rock-star of Mauritius. I mean there is no other indigenous animals (the "kiss-my-french-ass" waiter with attitude - although plentiful in the beach resorts, has been imported to the islands). So the Mauritians love them so dodo action.

So on Mauritius, ex-home of the dodo, there are dodo nic-nacs everywhere. I mean carved dodos, painted dodos, giant faux dodos, dodos on the national seal. You would think the damn bird was lurking somewhere in the bushes. But it went extinct like in the 1680s.

And, like any good marketing campaign, you catch yourself wanting dodo stuff pretty quickly. I have a dodo ashtray, we have a dodo sticker, and it is only because we didn’t really like Mauritius that everyone is not getting a little carved dodo. I mean I satisfied my dodo urge for about 4 bucks, but you could spend thousands for a life sized dodo.

Here is a picture of the homely little cherub.



Dumb, slow and ugly as sin. But... you know... tastes like chicken.