Thursday, January 10, 2008

Here is the problem with designed in China

So we got so beautiful Crate and Barrel Bookshelves. I mean really cool looking, nice quality. “Some Assembly Required”. No problem, Scooter has 16 years of Ikea Experience. Sure my first pieces were HORRIBLE, but I am a wiz now.


Here is the problem with “engineered in China” (as opposed to “made in China”, which is no problem). China has over a billion people and, like, 7 Drills. So everything is pre-drilled (good) and can be put together with an (enclosed) Allen Wrench (bad). See, if they used screws, or wood screws or something that you could attach to a drill – then wham bam thank you Chang, you’ld be done.

But in China then they got to pass one of the 7 drills back and forth. You may not get another turn until year of the Dragon or Wild Boar. So they give EVERYONE an Allen Wrench – manual labor rules!

Except for Scooter who would much rather use the electric powered drill than the scooter powered Allen Wrench. And yes, I know that it contributes a tiny bit to global warming (tiny!!) … but, I’ll plant a tree. Hell I’ll plant a tree in Israel and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.