Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sig Alert!


When in Los Angeles this week, I got to read the LA Times. Heh, did you know the Oscars are Sunday? It is, once again, big news in my hometown paper. It actually made me excited for a moment about the Oscars. Not the nominated pictures mind you, but about the actual awards celebration.
.
Everyone is getting ready since the dearth of parties and shows due to the strike.
.
I miss the LA Times as you can only miss your hometown news. The business section has how the strike has impacted the city, and how it is getting back to work. The sports section actually has scores and stories about games that happened the night before (although I get that they do have the advantage of 3 hours). And there is ALWAYS a Bruin and a Trojan article or three. The Home section still discusses what famous person(s) bought / sold /listed what this week. And the Calendar section is the best TV/Movie Entertainment section in the world (although the New York Times does cover the Stage better – if a little full of itself).
.
And, driving out of the Hertz lot, KNX 1070 gave me the 4 (FOUR!) SigAlerts that were in effect at 1PM on a Tuesday. Yes, 4 freeways had Significant Alerts (more than 1 unexpected lance closure for more than 30 minutes) in the middle of the afternoon. And I listened for an hour and heard the traffic every ten minutes. Now that made me homesick. Epically because they were all far away and not on my route (710 North at DelAmo, 118 East at the Santa Susanna Pass, 10 West in Covina and the 605N to 91E connector). And if, in your brain, you find yourself mentally checking if this was on your route home – you miss LA too sometimes.
.
Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy being in New York and there are tons of fun things to do. Eddie and I are seeing a really cool show this week-end at the Guggenheim. It was just a nice trip down memory lane (and Gavi, thank you for the El Coyote dinner!).