Friday, March 28, 2008

Don't Feel Helpless


So the world is overwhelming, baby I know it. AND, I know I have more than most, so I am not bragging or anything --- but...

Often we ask what we can do, how e can help, sometimes we don't know how to do it. So here is one way I use. http://www.kiva.org/.

Kiva is a web-site that works with small business entrepreneurs around the world. It allows micro-loans from people to people. For example, if you have $50 extra dollars, you can pool with others for a small loan to someone who can't really get financing.

All the money you donate for a loan, goes for the loans -(they do ask for a small donation to them to help run the site at the end of the process - but it is a donation not a requirement). Then they corrdinate loaning the money in country. The person you loan to pays it back over 6 months to a year. Once they have paid it all back, the money is put back into your account for you to withdraw or reloan.
They have historical records of who has repaid, and who has defaulted. The site also tells you EXACTLY what the loan will be used for (for example, I helped with the purchase of a motorcycle to help a woman get her vegtables to the city market instead of selling to a middle man who paid a lot less).
I thought of it today, because I got a repayment notice. Anyway, I bitch a lot -as you know if you read this with any regularity - so I thought maybe I could at least share part of what brings me hope.