Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Tribes...

I think that the world tumbles toward tribalism. And, for the most part, I am dead set against it. As you may (or may not) know, I hate the whole blue v. red thing. I have the Republican v. Democrat thing. I think we are all in this together.

Except for those areas where I am a positive tribal booster. And I shall proclaim my love for all to admire. Oh, perhaps you think I am wrong. Well, I am not. I am secure in my love for these things…
Tivo.
.
I am a card carrying, boop boop boop loving member of the Tivo Tribe. No other mere DVR will do for me.
.
Tivo loves me. Tivo knows me.
.
If I forget to record “Make Me a Supermodel”, Tivo forgives and records it anyway.
.
When the writer’s stike was over, Tivo told me that the Daily Show was out of reruns.
.
My Tivo records every movie directed by Michael Curtiz. Not just the amazing ones like Casablanca, Mildred Pierce and the original Robin Hood. No, it also gets the obscure, the “Young Man with a Horn”, the 1951 remake of “The Jazz Singer” and, for good measure “The Helen Morgan Story” (and no, I have no f’ing idea of who Helen Morgan is or was).
.
.
The Nissan Frontier 4 door, 4 wheel drive in the city.
.
Sure, the Frontier is poorly named. It wouldn’t survive in the real frontier for more than an hour, two hours tops. But in the urban jungle it was spectacular.
.
And, in Molten Lava.
.
.
Margaritas.
.
Sure the Martini is Rico Sauvier. The Maker’s Mark Manhattan is a more sophisticated way to the drunk tank. But the lowly Margarita, beloved by toilet huggers through out history is one of my true loves.
.
Whether poured by the pitcher on spring break with heathens or shaken merrily on the upper west side, it is tequila with an attitude. Face it, you barf on White Russians you never go near Kailua again. Half of the adults in California can’t drink Jagger because of a bad night once in their 20’s. But Margarita, you sweet yellow eyed mamacita, you call us back to your salty bosom over and over again.
.
.
Brad Pitt.
.
There is a constant fire sale on cute men of the moment.
.
George Clooney, Matt Damon, Matthew Mc Conaughey, Bredne Fraiser, Shia La Bouef ; the list of the moment floats in and out of our momentary thoughts. But there is only room for one blond, aggressively laid back cute ass grinner – and his name shall be Brad.
.
So let me occasionally check out of this day to day struggle for sanity.
.
Let drive down “Flamingo Road” in my Frontier before I settle down to watch Thelma and Louis on the Tivo with a pitcher of marggies.
.
Let me take a few days off from the race that life sometimes becomes. For I am human and life sometimes gets the best of me.
.
In the words of Michael Curtiz, “The next time I want an idiot to do this, I'll do it myself!"