Friday, June 06, 2008

Oh! The Humanity!!!!!



As if life is not cruel enough as we age...
.
As if saggy skin, "age spots", grey hair, crazy man eyebrows, cold weather dribbles, delaid recovery, shortness of breath on the stairs, fading eyesight, the heartbreak of psoriacis, enough gas to cook a meal, and that noise which kids today call music wasn't enough...
.
I thought life and I had called a draw. I thought we had separated to our respective corners and agreed to leave each other the hell alone. I thought maybe JUST MAYBE I could have a few good years before father time stole the will to live from me...
.
I was wrong.
.
There is a supreme power and (for unknown reasons) s/he taunts me. "Yes," s/he says, "Of course you can get married in California, for your love is true and you are a good person." S/he pauses a beat before adding the kicker. Must I sacrifice my son - luck in on my side there. Must I build an ark - not yet. No, s/he is more cunning than that.
.
Now flour tortillas keep me up all night with indigestion. FLOUR TORTILLAS!!! That pretty much sucks ass if your comfort food is ground beef enchiladas.