Thursday, July 31, 2008

How I get past it all...

If you read this, you know I tend to take things a little too seriously every now and then. And today was one of those days I was furious at "politicians". So how do you get past it.
.
Well, I told you about kiva.org where Eddie and I loan money as part of a micro finance project (and I still recommend it). But today I got a newsletter from the Christine Nobel Foundation. Through this group I sponsor a child in Mongolia.
.
She went to Mongolia once a while back and found that many kids were living in the sewers in Ulan Bator (the capital). They lived there because it was the only warm place in the winter. These kids were working or prostituting themselves to help their families.
.
So she started this foundation that built schools and provides help. I support a boy and the money I send pays his family (mother and 3 kids, the father died) what he would make working on the streets. So he gets to go to school and the family has some money. $2 a month of it goes to health insurance for the family.
.
The point here is look at the picture below. Knowing that many of these kids, now in school used to sleep in the sewer system and I dare you not to smile.


I am not saying that the Christine Nobel Foundation is the only answer. I also support a kid in Mozambique through World Vision (they are very religious, but they do great work so if they preach a little too - no worries for me).
.
Actually I am not saying support anything. I am saying that I think what makes mankind special is that as a group we are capable of great good. Some of you do it by raising kids (which is satisfying and challenging), some by supporting others, some by mentoring. Every now and then, when the world sucks, we just need a reminder what we do to make the world better.
.
So turn off the news, stopping reading stupid blogs (mine isn't stupid) and relax. Do what you can to stop the world from going to hell in a handbasket.

Christine Nobel Foundation