Sunday, August 03, 2008

A day in the life


My hotel is very close to the Olympic Green and the Birds nest. I'm sitting in my room now, and facing the birds nest actually. My typical day starts by taking an Olympic transit bus at 8am from the hotel. I go through a "mag and bag" screening here at the hotel, so the bus doesn't have to stop on the way in to Olympic Green area, and it drops me at the International Broadcasting Center. A huge building that will become their new convention hall after the games. I don't really leave there much, but have gotten out to see some venues and our production compounds. NBC is by far the largest Broadcaster and we have about 80,000 square feet built out into a temporary broadcasting facility. Lunch is at a commissary within our NBC area. My day at the IBC ends around 6 or 7pm, and then I have taken to walking back to the hotel, which is about a 25 or 30 minute walk through the Olympic area. On the way, I walk past the Gymnastics Arena, the Watercube, and then the Birds Nest. Right now the area is empty and it is a very magical feeling to stand among these architectural masterpieces. Dinner has been either out at a nice restaurant or at the hotel depending on my mood.
At 9pm here, it is 9am in NY and the calls and emails with the people back in NY begins. It has been much quieter on the weekend, but one night this week I shut everything down around 3am. I know that I have to reign that in or I'll get sick, so I'll be trying to force some of the New York business to happen at 9pm there instead.
More Later. Glad Scooter is coming. These Olympics are going to be off the charts on many levels!
Updated: I added a picture of Eddie in front of the Bird's Nest.