Monday, October 27, 2008

It's funny...

At the beginning of this campaign I wanted to warn people not to get too excited about Barak Obama.  I didn't feel he could get elected, and I was afraid people would get invested and this would disillusion them for the future.
.
That could still happen, but it looks doubtful - but that isn't the funny part.
.
I got wrapped in the No on Proposition 8 side.  In my mind, this was a simple Proposition that would be turned down.  I mean in previous anti-gay votes (like the prohibition of gay teachers) California had always been the state to vote to end discrimination.  Hell, Ronald Regean came out against the proposition banning gay teachers.
.
I didn't believe people would find Ellen and Portia d Rossi's marriage threatening.  I didn't think a 70 old ex-Start Trek character would rock the foundation of straight marriage.  I didn't think 2 80 year old lesbians tying the knot after 50 years would hurt anyone's marriage.
.
When I was young the sins of homosexuality were multiple partners and rudeness/disgustingness of semi-pubic gay sex were the sins.  People hide in bathrooms because they were ashamed of who they were.  I decided to be open and honest about who I was, with no big chip on my shoulder.  And it worked for years in LA - at school and word and home.  People deal with honest.
.
What I didn't expect was a that a commitment before community and god to love an protect each other would be the end of American civilization.  Ed and I have 14 years of love and support in a monogamous relationship, but a piece of paper that says we are married rocks the foundation of the entire Mormon Church.
.
So get this, because gang this is the funny part, after warning people not to get too excited because disillusionment is a lasting cancer on your commitment to community and country - here I am.  Over-invested in what a bunch of Californians say about my ability to get and stay married.  I am Angeleno and native Californian at heart and soul.  What they say is going to matter to me - right or wrong.
.
PS: Thank you everyone who donated to our Wedding Fund at Ed's request.  We raised over $5,000 and very honestly any donation from our friends touched our hearts.
.
PPS; I think I am going to try to disengage from this whole Prop 8 thing for 10 days.  It can't be good for me.