Sunday, November 09, 2008

Headline: Father Lies Again: It is Hell not Limbo for me...

(I just reread this, and it while true it should be read with a wry and world weary smile. To me, this is a funny story not a boo de hoo story...)
.
Well, it turns out once again my father, who as I said used to lie for the fun of it, made a nincompoop out of me. This is the story my father told me - and like a schmuck I believed him.
.
I never got baptized because my mom had me about the same time her brother had a little boy. We were going to get baptized together, but my cousin died. So, in deference to the family, it was cancelled and never rescheduled.
.
As far as why you weren't baptized, that is a great story. Who would make that up?!?
.
Who? My father, who never let the truth interfere with a good story.
.
After I posted the Limbo tale, my mother wrote me. I shall copy the correspondence.
...
I'm sure you were just "going on" about limbo, but you do know you were baptized by none other than, your grandfather. Who always swore he loved you more than anyone else, just didn't want you to "suffer" . He really believed homosexuality and alcoholism were a choice. Unbelievable for as educated man as he was. Times change, he would have been thrilled by our new President !!Love you tubs also, Mom
....
Get out of here!!! I thought I wasn't baptized because Rick had a child that passed away so it got cancelled. Of course now that I remember, it was probably our Mitch McCain that told me :-). I hate it when I go ... duh, I should have figured dad told me. Scott
....
From the grave, or wherever, Jerry strikes again. It makes me wonder what else we are going to find out, post Jerry and Zela..I would have never let your baptism be cancelled, you were 2 and 1/2 when Randy (Rick and Nancy De Young) who I think was actually a Jr. was born, then died 58 days later on Christmas Day,1961 (I think that was the year, and you were baptized when you were a baby, Do you have your scrapbook,? It was among the pictures and mementos of you that dear ol Jerry stole from me when they visited in Hawaii.** The Baptismal Certificate was in it.I have your Baby Book (which you may have) but I checked it and it just said see scrapbook. Shit. Just proves that old adage, only the good die young, is a crock. Love you, Mom
...
** My father and his then wife (7th) once visited my mom and her then husband (only 3) in Hawaii. The trip went more smoothly than you would think, until my mom discovered after they left my dad stole a bunch of pictures and a scrapbook about me from mom. By the by, my father left wife number 7 later and left all the stolen mementos with her. She returned nothing since he celebrated their separation by sleeping with her best friend.
....
End of story, no Limbo for me. But hey, I'm a Methodist.