Tuesday, December 09, 2008

New Knowledge; Painfully Useful

I know jackets.  This is wrong.
.
I should not know jackets.  In my youth I think I had sweaters and maybe one or two "car coats".
.
Now I own, like,  10 jackety things.  And before I go outside, I have to check the weather to see which one to wear.  Short down, Long down, overcoats, unlined but rain resistant...
.
Sad isn't it.  This means I live somewhere where they are needed.  This winter hasn't been all that bad because to date I have been able to dress appropriately, even down to the teens.
.
For many years I owned 1 coat.  It was a knee length, "Club Sportswear" after ocean jacket.  It was (well it still is for that matter) essentially a keen length windbreaker, that was lined with sweat shirt material.  it was less than useless in England (wind-breaker, not rain-breaker), but I love it none the less.  The picture of Karch Kiraly is appropriate because Club used to be his sportswear line - now sadly kaput.  
.
I actually purchased said coat at the New York Macy's for $99 (marked down from $129) and I have totally gotten my $1 per wear out of it.  It was like my most expense purchase of clothes to that date I think.  It have to be like, 1990 when I got it.
.
Memories... like the corners of my mind....
.
FYI - I knew Karch from classes at UCLA (he tended to snore in Economics of Trade Unions) and this picture is from the LA Olympics of 1984 where he was on the team that won a surprise Gold Medal with some friends of mine.
.
I was going to give the coat away, but I think I shall give another coat away and retire this one to Palm Springs tomorrow with me.