Thursday, December 04, 2008

With the news about India: some thoughts

The first time I was suppose to go to India for work, my trip was cancelled at the last minute. It turns out that there was a fairly good change (that is above 5%) of a nuclear war between India and Pakistan at that time.
.
Now, I have been all over the world for work and never too overly worried. I have been to Indonesia the week after bombing at the Marriott. I have been waited on in Malaysia by a woman in a burka. I have traveled where I should not let people know I work for Citi (or previously for Xerox).
.
But the idea that there might actually have been a nuclear war did freak me out. I mean people in India and Pakistan were actually thinking of war - and it would easily escalate.
.
The weird thing is that it wasn't especially big news in the USofA. I kind of get the feeling the same thing is going on now. I think things in India and Pakistan are a lot worse than we know.
.
It is sobering.