Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Although primarily a rhetorical question...

Although primarily a rhetorical question, there is a modicum of real concern vis a vi...
.
Are some people I work with idiot savants or did they attend idiot school?
.
For example, when a good guy and all around nice person (say with initials SM) is trying to save your lazy ass and your team some time intensive busy work, the obvious thing you would do is try to help said "SM".
.
And, if this assumed SM (paragon of virtue and sanity), has been following up on asinine paperwork so you don't have to do a fairly worthless (but very code heavy) throw away project - and SM has been working on this for 4 months - one should assume SM is helping you.  One might even give SM the benefit of the doubt that he knows of what he speaks.
.
So when SM sends you a question, AND references the details in the body of the note, albeit at the end of a e-mail thread you are too dumbshit lazy too read, it is probably important.  In fact, if you company is, say, under pretty tight watchdog rules, and SM has stated in the subject of the note that this is from an Asian Regulatory associations - then don't blow him off.
.
I asked for some specific details that we haven't published, for approved security reasons, and was told, in just barely more polite terms, "RTFM".  Well sweetness, if it was in the manual (which I had explained to this project owner) then I would have read it.  
.
I am asking your team for some plausible explanation because they didn't document it anywhere - you see I could read your 2,000 page, 4 volume "help" manual till the cows come home and I wouldn't find anything.  And how, pray tell, do I know this?  As I explained it in the message you were just too lazy to read, I did read that dreck of geek goobledee gook you call user manuals (and appendixes)!
.
I can't stand blow off messages, sent by lazy people- who have had 8 hours to answer, but have to get out the door by 4:13 PM.  So they whisk off a little one sentence CYA nasty-gram (copying the world)!
.
It starts my day with a smile the next morning.
.
PS: I did send him a much nicer response than this, explaining the same question again - pointing the highlighted portions in the original note - saying he must have misunderstood my question.