Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wazu beats #20 UCLA last week ... good for Tony


A friend of Ed's brother (Phil) is Tony Bennet, the coach of Washington State Basketball - affectionately known as WAZU (the Cougars, not the Huskies).
.
Well last Saturday they came into UCLA's Pauley Pavilion to play Number 20 UCLA.  Wazu hasn't won in Pauley in 4 years and Tony's teams haven't beat the Bruins in 6 tries.  Although he (and his father before him) have done a great job up in the middle of Nowhere, Washington.
.
Seriously, Pullman is an hour from Spokane and the closest town with a hotel is Lewiston Idaho.  I know, I stayed there and a smart ass song-girl asked if they had potato daiquiris.  The cocktail waitress asked what a daiquiris was.  This is not an easy place to recruit to, but I digress.
.
Anywho, Tony's team rolled into Pauley and upset the Bruins Saturday.  Great for them!  I think it really means something for them to beat UCLA at Pauley.
.
(And Don, notice I didn't say anything about Ben Howland in this post and ...it  ....is ....killing ....me!)
.
Seriously.. Pullman is far far away.  It is closer in time and milage to my mother's house in Victor Montana (PAST Missoula) than it is to Seattle.  And my mother lives on the other side of the Rocky Mountains from Pullman!!!