Saturday, May 02, 2009

Lynn Likes the Okapii....

This is fluffy - the 27 foot long pythoon.
.
I don't know why I started with this, but I thought it was pretty cool.
.
Anyway, Lynnie went to the Colombus Zoo and liked it. I leave it to her (without any comment on the Okapii Tongue thang..)....
.
I took most of the day off yesterday and took my niece Megan and her friend to the Columbus zoo. It was my first visit to this zoo and I was very impressed. Most of the animals had very large areas to roam around in and more often than not there were at least 3 or 4 in the same exhibition area. Sometimes they had 2 or 3 different animals in the same exhibition, e.g. the bison was with a bunch of goats. The only animals I saw in smaller enclosures were snakes. It was a good zoo day - not too hot so the animals were quite active. The highlight of the visit for me was the new baby elephant who has yet to be named (they let you vote on 1 of 4 names - I voted for Sidhartha, Sid for short). He's still small enough to stand underneath mama Phoebe which seemed to be his favorite spot - mama kept moving and he would run to catch her and then run between her back legs...too cute. The elephant2 picture is Phoebe with her first baby, Bodhi, also born at the Columbus zoo.There were also lots of baby monkeys that were equally adorable.They have some beautiful big cats, a pair of grizzly bears that were raised at the zoo after their mama was killed, and a 24-foot python named Fluffy.
.
Some of my other favorites were the silverback gorrillas, the timberwolves, and the okapi (who has a VERY long tongue and can, so the sign says, lick its own eyelids).
.
Megan's favorites were the otters who have an beautiful playground complete with a large pond (with an underwater viewing window), water slide and a big romping area and romp they did.
.
A good time was had by one and all.