Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Once Again... Los Angeles leaves me unprepared..

June Gloom.
.
Once again Los Angeles weather has left me unprepared for "real" weather.
.
You see in Los Angeles we get June Gloom. This is a month in which it is overcast (early morning low clouds and overcast.. clearing around 2PM), but no rain.
.
June Gloom, whether it happens in June or May occurs because the ground has warmed up, but the ocean hasn't warmed up yet. So hot air rises over the land, pulling in wet ocean air. This is the same phenomena that makes fog in San Francisco every night (it takes longer to heat up the ground up there) and the Big Sur. LA is in a bend in the ocean and it actually heats up a little there by July.
.
Why does this screw me in New York. June Gloom NEVER causes rain. As it turns out June Gloom in New York is caused by RAIN clouds.
.
Yes I was caught in a squall (it looked like June Gloom to me!).