Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Throwback or An Old Crank?

At what point does being a throw-back become being an old crank?


For example, I used to enjoy sending and receiving post-cards. I still love and send them. I enjoy the give an take of "Here I am seeing something amazing" and sharing it. I used to love taking pictures of something special and sharing them. Do you remember getting mail that had the big bulky DO NOT BEND stickers on them? They promise unforeseen treasures inside.
.
But the virtual world, the world of computers and cell phones and take your work with you has changed all that. One doesn't really "get away" anymore. One doesn't really get to share things anymore. Or rather one gets to share everything (below is a picture of my mother and I giving Eddie and annoying kiss in Washington DC).
So, is it news worthy? Gosh no. Is it shareable fun? Heck Yea. But now that I shared it, will I print it out and keep it - no (of course, I print out and keep all my nincompoopery - but that is bizarre and a bit creepy probably). At what point does sharing become so non-stop it isn't special?
.
So I have resisted the instant fun of facebook or the constant touch of the cell phone. When I want to share, I want to share. And when I want to unplug I still can.
.
You know, I wanted to share Ed and my time at Laura's Wedding, so I made a video for my mom and a friend. It was just the pictures of the wedding and just who was there, but I wanted her to see how special it was. Not just the "we were there" but "here is how it felt".
.
I find virtual closeness little reprieve from actual distance. But perhaps I just haven't handled it right. I like the idea that people have to try to reach you. Maybe they even want to.
.
Oh well... I think I might sign-off for a while here and try face book. Or I might just sign off altogether. I'm not happy about it - but I feel more and more an anachronism. I can't say I enjoy the feeling.