Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My Friends in Film: Part 1 (non-Nep/Am)

I was thinking last night (yeah - I couldn't sleep again) that I should make some kind of test to show what old Hollywood Star my friends were.
.
But then I thought, "Ha!". They know what kind they are, but the probably don't know what kind I think they are. So here is the first in a series of friends' emotional doppelgangers in a movie (not that you / they are like this all the time - only in this specific movie).
.
(All the in-laws coming next time).
.
First: Jane.
.
Clearly you are Marlene Dietrich in Witness for the Prosecution.
.
Everyone thinks they know everything about you - but you hold the cards close to your chest. And, of course, you.."never use smelling salts - because they puff the eyes. And I never faint, for I am not sure I will fall gracefully."
.
.
.
.
Barbara F.
.
I don't mean this mean at all, but you are so Lucy Ball in The Long Long Trailer.
.
You head out on this adventure you don't want to go on - because your husband thinks it is a terrific idea. And if it works, he's right, and if not, the batter falls on your head.
.
And you look great through it all.
.
.
Patti G (nee C)
.
If you haven't seen "The Women" this makes no sense, but you are very Paulette Goodard in The Women.
.
Soft but strong. Sweet until pushed then "a little" tart back.
.
Plus she was supposed to be Scarlet O'Hara until that British Tart showed up.

.
.
Lisa H.
.
You won't agree but you in my mind you are alwasy Miss Myra Loy from the very first Thin Man. Where she was very much the partner.
.
Plus, I totally have seen you with the hot-water-bottle hangover.
.
Probably because I want to see me as William Powell circa Thin Man 1.
.
.
.
Mom
.
This picture might be a little racus, but I see you as Jane Russel in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
.
"Wait a minute Gus, I'm the Chaperone. No one chaperones the Chaperone!"
.
.
.
Tasha
.
Well, if you haven't seen The Women, this makes no sense because Mary Boland was an old star. But in The Women she isthe Countess de Lave (tojours amore... tojours)
.
"Have a little drinki, dear."
.
.
.
.
Laura
.
It is almost a cliche, but are so Laura Hunt from "Laura". Gene Tienrey was venerable, tough, and flirty all at once.
.
She made her decision and stuck to it...even when she was wrong. :-)

.
.
Lynnie
.
Eve Arden was never appreciated either (except by me). You know, I met here when she signed her book (it is in the desert) and she was just like she was in the movies. Okay.. in Mildred Pierce.
.
Half funny, half whistful and all energy.
.
.
.
And of course my Eddie.
.
In one of his best, but lesser known roles, Cary Grant in Holiday.
.
Holiday was the precursor to The Philadelphia Story. The Philadelphia Story was a better movie, but Cary Grant was a better man in Holiday.
.
That's my honey... stary-eyed but actionable. Stubborn but usually right. Handsome as hell.
.
Tomorrow, the in-laws, NM and HA and JoANNE.