Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ghost City: Cairo Illinois

I have posted previously about "Ghost Towns", abandoned for economic, political or just crazy reasons.
.
I was looking at MUG (Manhattan User's Guide) e-mailing today and was struck by this "Ghost city".

This is Cairo, Illinois. I can feel many of you mentally scratching your head saying, "I know that name, why is that?" Because I have brought it up before as the home town (although not birth site) of my paternal Grandparents. It is Zela's home town.
.
I went once and was struck by the emptiness. Apparently it has gotten worse. Cairo (KAA-row) is at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Barge traffic is no longer important and so the city has declined in popularity. Apparently in the 1960s and 70s it was also a hot bed of racial troubles, and whites fled in droves. It is now all but a ghost town.
.
Below are two more pictures of San Zhi, Taiwan - which part of me wants to move to and rebuild completely.
.
Apparently in the 1980's San Zhi was being built as a resort town on the north part of the island of Taiwan. Shoddy construction practices (and possible shoddy materials) cause a number of accidents and deaths.
.
San Zhi was abandoned when the construction workers fled the spirits and ghosts of the dead.



I love the look of this place.