Sunday, October 11, 2009

Two Different Shows: Two Really Different Emotions

To quote Joey from Blossom, "Whoa!"
.”
Yesterday I saw (and have to review) two very very different plays. One huge Broadway show with big stars, big sets and a great cast at the top of their game. It was Royal Family, it opened Thursday to good reviews. I enjoyed it –but at 3 hours I enjoyed it for too long and it was a remote play.
.
Then last night, in a tiny theater (maybe 35 seats), I saw a minimal 4 person show that blew me away. Blew . Me. Away. Lila Cante – a new show.

Ultimately, I guess, you have to review how you feel. And thought I was impressed by the big beautiful show, the little one kicked my ass.
.
It is odd though, to give a more enthusiastic review for a tiny show that pulled me in – than a full grown Broadway revival that did everything right. Odd, but right.