Friday, November 20, 2009

I Couldn't Afford It Now


Unlike my 1 year at USC, I spent my 3 years at UCLA on my own dime. That is, I paid for it myself. My mom had a 3kids at home and my dad was... well my dad was my dad.
.
And I am proud of it. I worked almost full time at food services on campus (20 - 35 hours a week) - so I was able to schedule around my classes as well as get a meal free every day I worked (plus hamburgers for my roommates, when I closed Campus Corner daily).
.
I left with about $3,500 in student loans (all paid ).
.
So it is really sad to hear of yet another increase in fees at UCLA. Yearly "fees" (there is no "tuition" for in state students) is now about $10,000 a year. Ten years ago it was $3,500 a year. When I went (30 years ago!!!!) it was $700 a year.
.
I don't think you could work your way through school and lodgings now. I wouldn't be able to go to UCLA - despite my grades and all (I would probably have to go to Long Beach State - which isn't horrible but... it's Long Beach State, doesn't look as good on a resume).
.
I don't blame anyone and I am not bitching. I just think it is really really sad. UCLA holds so much magic for me... I learned so much... I grew more than anyone will know... My friends and I became the people we are because of UCLA...
.
It's just really sad that this experience is now out of the reach for so many people.