Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Finally Used My Grandfather's Line

Those of you know have had the pleasure (?) of going to the theater, movies or concerts with me that have probably heard - more than once - me parrot the words of my Grandfather. "It was okay, but they passed a lot of good places to stop."
.
Well, I used it in a review the other day for "Rough Sketch." It was very well done, but too long.
.
I quote (so you don't have to read to the end). (Link over on the left with the other play reviews)
.
Finally, Rough Sketch passed the perfect place to stop. Very late in the show, there is a scene that ends on a note of beautiful ambiguity, tension, love, anger and distrust. I wanted to jump up and applaud. And then the play stumbled onward for a little while longer toward an ending that wasn’t ambiguous at all. Rough Sketch was not an easy journey of love and courtship, but it was often enthralling. The ending, however, was perhaps just too tidy.