Saturday, April 10, 2010

Anyone Can Whistle: Wow!


So last night I saw "Anyone Can Whistle" at an Encore performance. Encore performances are essentially run throughs without set where the actors can use scripts. But in New York and LA (which also does these often), it is a way to explore bigger, older works without having to mount a full production.
.
Anyone Can Whistle was a colossal failure that has passed into legend. It played 9 previews and 3 shows before closing. However Colombia records saved the score.
.
Three of the songs (Anyone Can Whistle, Everybody Say Don't & With So Little To Be Sure Of) are standards now. But I am surprised that the show stayed in minds so long due to the score. The score is fascinating, but chaotic.
.
And many of the big reviews talk about an unwieldy story (NY Post, Washington Post, NY times, etc.)
.
I disagree.
.
What enthralled me was the story. The entire musical is a tribute to individuality. A scream against conformity and blind obedience to authority. A wail about the powers of government (or just other people) to quash dreams. And the power that love and companionship bring against that. And all wrapped in Musical Comedy!!
.
So, I fracking loved it.
.
And .. AND .. AND it was written in 1964! As Vietnam was escalating. As the Civil Rights movement was being born. Here are the guys who wrote "Gypsy" and "West Side Story" moving to address the nation in the only way they thought would work. With a sly story about a city government gone wild and the Mayoress' attempt to lock up anyone in her way. With the Mayoress played over the top funny.
.
I am thrilled I got to see it. I know I took away a different moral than some people (and definitely the reviewers!), but the play spoke to me ... actually screamed to me.
.
I will NEVER listen to "Everybody Says Don't" the same way again. Thank you Raul Esparza.