Sunday, May 16, 2010

Big Ass Day on Broadway!

Eddie and I have a big day yesterday. We went to Taste of Tribeca, bumbled with Jaquie around City Hall and saw 2 amazing Broadway Shows.
.

First up (but seen second with our friend Nic who is in town from LA for the NBC "Up Fronts" where they preview their new shows to the press (and Nic has a new NBC show)) was La Cage au Falls with Kelsey Grammer, Douglas Hodge (an amazing import from the London show) and a ton of wigs - including that hideous toupee that Kesley is sporting in the picture above.
.
I have never seen La Cage. Well, I saw the first half once before Eddie and I left because it was awful. This was a great show, re-imagined into a much more intimate scale. I liked it a lot.
.

Early we saw Next Fall. This is a comedy /drama nominated for Best Play this year. I loved it. It is a show about a gay couple, one atheist and one deeply committed Christan. The Christian partner has been in an accident and the lover now has to deal with his partner's very Christian family. It was well done (and the Atheist comes off as much less flexible than the Christian - which might not be what you expect from a liberal, gay friendly show).
.
I hear it is going to lose to Red, which has bigger stars and a grander theme (ah, the agony of Art with a capital A) but I loved it. LOVED IT.
.
ps - I note that I use parens liberally. It is from using them in Excel (in equations (where they must match or revel an error)). Sorry.