Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Politics of Outing..


..or, more importantly, my views on this (smiley face).
.
So the New York Times essentially outed Zachary Quinto this week, in a big splashy spread. The story was annoying and brings up my own conflicted emotions of this. Particularly since Mr. Quinto is in Angels in America, the quintessential play about the evil invisibility brought upon a generation.
.
But it has been 25 years. Should people be outed now?
.
Before, my answer was fairly simple. If public figures were working against gay rights – which in the era of AIDs meant working to kill us – then they should be outed. I was also sympathetic to outing positive role models who might make the world look upon “us” as more normal. I felt that we need visible positive people who my grandmother would be comfortable with. The Nathan Lane / Rosie O’Donnell argument – particularly if they insisted on showing same sex partners as “Dinners” or “Awards shows”. I felt free to call bullshit.
.
Now. Well, Zachary Quinto has never either confirmed or denied being gay. He says it is no one’s business. Before we say this always means you’re gay note that Rupert Graves (my little British hero - up top is Rupert in Room with a View and down low is a recent picture from V (is fro Vendetta)) has said this same thing for 35+ years before getting married to his long time female companion. He said that he never confirmed because it wasn’t fair gays were asked this and straight people were not.
.
Anyway, I agree that now adays it is no one’s business.
.
On the other hand, I think people that demonize homos (I’m looking at you Mehlmen) it is fair to out.
.
I find it reprehensible that the New York Times outs Zachary Quinto for shits and giggles when it means nothing, but DOESN’T out Ken Mehlmen when he was demonizes gay people and every gay man on the East Coast knows he is gay.




A dead generation